Starting a Business

I really enjoyed Dr. Stanney's talk, as I hope to work for a private research company much like her's (I'm actually hoping to do an internship at Design Interactive next summer). However, I'm not so sure that running the business would be for me. Although it would be nice to have complete control over the company and thus control the direction of the research, I don't know that I would be willing to go through the hassles involved in the business side of things. I am much more interested in being directly involved in the research than the business structure headaches of taxes, paperwork and hiring/firing employees. As long as I can work on research I am interested in and be paid enough to live comfortably I'll be happy; I don't think the increase in sallary would be worth the increase in stress associated with running a business.

No comments: